…without the Manhattan price tag.
Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island have long been looked to as places to call home for those unwilling to pay the premiums that go along with living in Manhattan. For those looking to work in Manhattan, but not spend a large percentage of their income on rent, Queens offers a quick commute, bustling commercial areas and a wide array of transportation options.
New York City Subways
Steinway Street (Steinway Street, about 200 feet south of Broadway) Opened 8/19/1933: Local stop, 2 tracks and 2 side platforms. There are 2 separate mezzanines at both ends of the station, crossover is allowed on both sides. It is the busiest local station between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Avenue (source).
R Train: Provides service starting in Forest Hills (Queens), running through the middle of Manhattan and terminating in Brooklyn. Popular destinations serviced by the R include:
- 59th Street: Bloomingdales
- 5th Avenue: Central Park South
- 57th Street: Columbus Circle
- 7th Avenue: Carnegie Hall
- 49th Street: Northern tip of Times Square (David Letterman 1 block north)
- 42nd Street: Times Square
- 34th Street: Herald Square & Macy’s
- 14th Street: Union Square
- 8th Street: New York University
M Train: Provides weekday service from Forest Hills (Queens), running down Manhattan’s 6th Avenue and terminating in Manhattan’s lower east side.
Backup Lines: In the event of construction along the R line, the Broadway Express Q train and Broadway Local N train is an 8 to 10 minute walk down Broadway and services the same Manhattan destinations as the R train (N train terminates at Coney Island in Brooklyn).
New York City Bus Service
Buses 18, 19, 19A, 101 (Steinway to east 59th Street), 102, 103, and 104 criss-cross Astoria. The M60 runs from Astoria Blvd. to Columbia University and LaGuardia Airport
- The Grand Central Parkway cuts through Astoria on its way to the Triborough Bridge
- The Brooklyn/Queens Expressway (BQE) Astoria entrance
- LaGuardia Airport is a 10-13 minute drive ($16-$20 by hired car service)